Wednesday, January 5, 2011

First DIY of 2011 ... Paint the Mantel

My den mantel was pine.   I've been in this house for 3 years and have been debating painting it all that time.   I was bored the day before New Years's and got out the primer.




In the spirit of full disclosure, there was a bit of a disaster before this happy ending.   I had the primer on and was my impatient self.  Within 10 hours I had primer and two coats of paint on.   When I took the tape off, whole sheets of paint came off too.    I had to strip off all the paint, sand and start again!!   I must learn patience.

4 comments:

  1. Good for you. we have been debating this as well on a similar style fireplace. Okay, you've given me the push ... we'll do it. Ours is very orange stain and i think we will go quite neutral cream or sandy to blend with baseboards and other trim work. Your tale of impatience is one that I can relate to and have experienced first hand;) drying between coats is optional right? Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the white paint! It's always scary to paint over wood, but so worth the effort...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I can relate! I always, always move too fast when I'm doing anything paint related. Can't help myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks wonderful painted white...love it!

    ReplyDelete